COUNCIL ON AGING BOARD MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES
To identify needs of Georgetown’s elders, develop programs and services to meet those needs, to educate the community on elder issues and to advocate on behalf of elders. To set goals and objectives and support staff in implementing and promoting the COA’s mission. Board members are appointed by the Board of Selectmen. Term is for three years.
- Attend required meetings and adhere to attendance policies within COA by-law
- Attend Board orientation and training programs as offered
- Respect the privacy and dignity of individuals by keeping personal information confidential
- Serve on at least one committee per year as assigned by the Chair
- Understand and approve the COA budget prior to its presentation to the Finance Committee and Annual Town Meeting
- Advocate for the budget’s acceptance through the municipality’s process; monitor the budget throughout the year
- Assist with annual and long term planning
- Cooperate with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and be aware of all State and Federal legislation concerning funding information and program planning which exist in the elder network
- No member of the Board shall make written or oral representation for the COA unless authorized by Council vote
- Board members shall coordinate all business communications with the COA Director
- No single Board member shall make requests of any staff person or assign duties to the staff
- Board members will promote and support, in a positive way, all programs which will enhance the lives of Georgetown’s elders and advocate on their behalf and attend COA functions when possible.
- Board members shall educate and enlist community support concerning the needs of the elderly and shall see that services and programs are designed, promoted and implemented or coordinated within existing services to fill those needs
- Enhance the public image of the COA by being an ambassador to the community for the COA
- Recruit and recommend new Board members
- The Board shall, in consultation with the COA Director, establish policies and procedures for service programs and use of the Senior Center and related facilities.