Accident Report

When should you file a report?

You should file a report if you were the operator of a vehicle involved in a crash where the damage to any one vehicle or property is over $1,000, or if there is an injury to any person, even if a police officer was on the scene. You should file the report within five days of the date of the crash. This report is also required as a matter of law Chapter 90 s26, the registrar may revoke or suspend the license of any person violating this section.

You should NOT file a report if the crash occurred on a private road, driveway, private parking lot or other private way.

This report is important because data collected from this report is used in many ways including:

  • Identifying locations with a large number of crashes.
  • Improving dangerous highways and intersections.
  • Developing highway safety public information programs.
  • Developing programs to save lives and reduce highway injuries.

Click here to download the Operator Crash Report form from the Registry of Motor Vehicles.